Make decisions slowly by consensus, thoroughly considering all options. Implement rapidly.
How you arrive at the decision is just important as the quality of the decision. God is in the details. Excellence is in the details.
Broadly consider alternative solutions with a set-based approach. Think in set of many alternative solutions, not only one.
The main problem in a lot of companies is that many groups care more about their own objectives than about the company’s success.
Communicate visually on a piece of paper (A3) to arrive at decisions and structure your meetings :
- Clear objectives prior to the meeting
- The right people at the meeting
- Prepared participants
- Effective use of visual aids : A3
- Share information to the meeting so that the focus of the meeting can be on problem solving
- The meeting starts and ends on time
« Nothing is assumed. Everything is verified. »
The content of this post is inspired by the book “The Toyota Way” – Jeffrey K. Liker